Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory (only) auxiliary furnaces

Separated out from other posts to keep factory systems separate from aftermarket.

Syncro aux. heater

alaskajohn Junior Member # 348 posted 12-10-2000 05:04 PM

Capt. Mike,

The aux. heater you mentioned in the Syncro - is this what the Bentley refers to as the "Heater Booster" (sec. 82 of the manual)? You mentioned that this was an option available for model years up to '87, for a significant cost? Do you ever see any of these units show up in used parts stores or wrecking yards? If I found one, would it be a nightmare in both cost and effort to install in my '87 Syncro Westy? The idea of supplemental heat is great when you live in Alaska like we do and intend to use the van as our back country skiing basecamp.

Capt. Mike: Neither the Syncro nor any '90 Vanagon CAME with the auxiliary heater in US Models. VW discontinued the auxiliary heater as an option when the price hit about $1600 extra around '87.

The Syncro used a fuel-fired furnace to heat the vehicle coolant and use the existing heater cores. The 2WD version used a fuel-fired hot air furnace in the chassis between the frame rails that fed into the regular heater ducts. Both were on timers to restrict use to a few minutes at a time (10) to avoid draining the battery excessively when operated with the engine off, but made excellent supplements to the main heater underway. They were NOT sold as kits for aftermarket installation; individual parts prices would be astronomical.

The 2WD version is almost identical to the unit found on late Type IIs, which is shown & described in detail on my pic post site linked from the home page. Look under technical diagrams.

Capt. Mike Moderator Member # 11 posted 12-11-2000 05:44 PM

The Syncro unit is the BBW46 described in the Bentley 82.20.

Installation is probably within advanced home mechanic ability as the main heat unit is fairly well self contained. The electronics would be more dificult, particularly from the physical point layout and routing into an already assembled vehicle. Space is already at a premium under the dash.

The full installation also requires a number of additional parts like the monovalve, check valves and T-fittings. These would probably be more difficult to find on the used market.

I investigated buying one piece-meal when I bought mine and it turned out to be a major undertaking just determining what parts. And I had a VW US in guy that could cut through red tape. It was discontinued in the US when it hit $1600, so you can imagine what one would cost by the part. I might still have done so if I could buy a "kit" but Ebersprecher didn't sell it as such, although you can be sure it was delivered to VW that way! FYI: Ebersprecher has a US division based in Charlotte, NC.

When considering such an undertaking, give due regard to battery & fuel consumption. The older heat-exchanger furnace used enough electricity that VW felt it necessary to put it on a 10 minute limit timer. I'd expect the syncro even worse because it takes longer to heat the coolant. I had no problem using it for a couple of periods in the evening getting ready for bed, and another couple in the morning while bathing & dressing, but that's with a fresh battery AND usually a full day driving to recharge it. Fuel consumption is noticeable but not excessive. However it has to be factored in, especially in AK where you are often pushing tank capacity between stations.

Thus my decision to go to the Coleman cartridge LP. Much cheaper and I'm now finding it works more than adequately. I can run it for nearly an hour each evening & morning and still get nearly a week from a cartridge.

Eberspacher BN4 in an 87 Westy - ever done it?

jamescooper, Junior Member, 02-21-2001 02:09 PM

I am looking for affordable, built in, backup heat and have a good condition, working BN4 unit that was given to me by a friend.

I'm sure that there are many opinions on safety (I'll hear them) but I am really looking to hear if anyone has seen one installed in a WC Westy or has experience doing it. I have a mechanic I can go to for the install but would like to get some info before going that far.

Thanks

James

Heater (aux.?) smells and popping noise from outside

Mike Goodchild, Junior Member posted 05-09-2001 01:11 PM

Hello, I have a 1980 vw westfalia, and I am not exactly sure what an auxiliary heater is, there is a dial on the dash, it is green with +/- on it, and it looks stock, at least it's in the manual, any ways, you push the lever on the dash to the right and then turn this thing to the number one oposition apparently to get heat...yeh ! But, There never is much heat coming out of the thing, and it often smells of burning something. She also pops outside, under the left side you can hear a light popping sound.
    Any ideas ? Also, if this is an aux. heater, what is the regular heater ? Thanks and sorry for the earlier confusion, hope i got everything here, Mike.

Capt. Mike, Moderator posted 05-09-2001 06:03 PM

You have the auxiliary furnace supplied as an accessory for the air-cooled VW's of that era. Look in your Bentley shop manual page 82.2 - 82.11. The green knob is the giveaway -- the regular heater is controled just by the slide levers. You can run the auxiliary independent of the engine, or use it as a supplemental when the engine is running. They were really very good. The are fueled from the main gas tank.

The working of the knob is a little complex. You push it in and turn it to the right to set the timer (Max 10 minutes) when you are using it independent of the engine. Then turn the knob without pushing in to the right to set the temperature. This will also set it for when the engine is running. More right = more heat.

If you are smelling something hot or burning it could be from many sources. The furnace draws air from outside and pumps it through the heat exhanger and into the ductwork. The furnace draws other air from outside to feed the fire and it exhausts out the little exhaust pipe on the side. The heated air does not come in direct contact with the combustion air. Unless . . . you could have a leak. It's also possible you are picking up odors from the main engine heat exhangers in the exhaust system since that air is also piped into the same system. Try running the heat by levers only, no auxiliary. If no smell, the problem is probably the auxiliary.

The popping sound may indicate combustion problems. Initially, you should hear clicking from the auxiliary heater's fuel pump. When you first turn it on, the glow plug begins to heat. After a few minutes, the relay will kick in the fuel and you should hear a whoosh as it starts and then a steady small roar. The fans should then be running. Popping sounds like you may be getting improper burn and it's lighting off, dying and relighting. That could be caused by fuel supply, ignition or air leak defects.

In simplest form, it functions like the industrial heaters you see that look like a jet engine. Read the Bentley and also check my pics site (linked from the home page) under the Technical Diagrams folder for a set of Type II heater wiring and troubleshooting charts. The heater in the air-cooled Vanagons was very similar.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Bench Testing BN4

McBugs Junior Member # 3002 posted 12-28-2001 05:33 PM

Hi, all!

I have removed the Eberspacher BN4 from my '71 Westy (newly purchased) and need to bench test everything.

Has anyone done this? If so, any pointers?
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year!

I don't know how much of the BN6 data is applicable to the BN4. Full bench-testing instructions for the BN6 are given in the out-of-print Service Manual Type 2, Supplement 12. Copies of the troubleshooting chart and wiring diagram are posted on the tech diagram link on the homepage. But posting the full manual pages with photos and instructions is beyond my capacity or inclination. Finding a copy of that book will require you check the sources for used & obsolete publications listed elsewhere on this site under CONVERSATIONS & SUPPLIERS forums or finding a dealer whose service dept. still has theirs.

Here's some of the BN6 data.

Glow plug -- electrode gap 2.5 mm; voltage 12v; resistance 4-6 k; current draw 10.2 A.

Combustion air blower -- one pump stroke (audible tick) for every 33 revs of blower so strokes x 33 = speed; speed should be 6400-7000 rpm at 12v after running 10 minutes.

Overheat switch -- heater must start in 70 seconds. Disconnect blower and fuel pump should shut down in 60-140 seconds.

Flame switch -- operation time = w/in 70 seconds at 20°C/68°F; run-on time 80-160 seconds.

Temp sensor -- place in 60°C/140°F water; resistance = 3.5 - 5 k.

Fuel pump -- 18.4 - 21.7 cc in 200 strokes. Pump rate is adjustable.

Heater blower -- 6-7 amps at idle.

Air circulation blower -- stage 1 = 3.2 - 3.7 amps with 1 ohm series resitance; stage 2 = 6.8-7.2 amps.

Safety switch -- response time 150-230 seconds @ 20°C/68°F.

These are not all true bench test data. Some are based on in-service checks. There are several warnings in the text -- shorting components with improper connections; alignment of components so drain holes are down, etc.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 01-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Capt Mike-
    Thanks for all that info!
    I had already contacted Espar, up in Ontario Canada. They sent me a copy of the BN4 service manual, as well as the trouble shooting chart.
    I was just asking if anyone, who has done this, had some helpfull tips. You know, things to look out for that the books don't tell you.
    Any-who, I discovered that my glow plug is dead. So, now I have to find a source for that.
    Help? Anyone?
    Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Take it easy,
    Bill & Patsie
    1971 Westy "Heidi"
    1971 Deluxe Transporter "Hilda"
    1969 Beetle "Ingrid"

Chauffage Eberspacher sur Westfalia Joker3

breizh70 Junior Member # 3663 posted 03-12-2002 05:06 PM

Bonjour, je suis francais
    et je cherche des infos techniques
    sur un chauffage D2L
    Merci

Translation:

Topic: Ebercpacher Heater in A Westfalia Joker3

Hello,

I am French and am looking for technical information on heater D2L.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 01-02-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Auxilary heater

durangomike Junior Member # 3094 posted 03-27-2002 05:17 AM

Can anyone lend some insight as to the functioning of an auxilary heater. I have an '82 vanagon with this heater located below a storage compartment that is below the sink. i have the camper supplement to the owner's manual but it makes no reference to any such heater. Fact is, the entire layout of my camper is not consistent with what the manual tells and shows. this is perplexing as well. My poptop raises on all four corners vs. the slanted variety. Anything you might be able to say about this would be welcome as well.

Although Westfalia & VW made many models for other markets, the fact that you have a raising roof instead of pop-top and your interior, including aux. heater don't match the manual, indicate you may have some aftermarket conversion. In which case this is not a factory aux.heater and you'll have to go to the manufacturer.

Go to your dealer (Guideline #7) and look at the micro-fiche for your model to see what you should have. The Bentley Section 82.2 also shows the aux. heat system. If you have a gray-market or import model that VW did support elsewhere, you'll have to get the documentation for that country.

Heater timer

javi_mayo Junior Member # 3854 posted 04-03-2002 07:36 AM

My 90' Vanagon Atlantic is equipped with an Eberspächer static heater wich can be connected manually or automatically with the help of an electronic timer (as the one used in the Mosaik model). It would be great if someone could explain me how to use it. Is there an especific manual for this timer?

wane_1 Junior Member posted February 13, 2003 08:20 PM

i have found something i hope is helpful to someone else. my heater coil was shot and i couldn't buy one new from anywere so i did some resurch and found that any late style coil will work as long as it doesnt have an internal resistor

B2L Eberspacher Heater

Rod Sleigh Junior Member posted April 21, 2003 12:06 PM

Does anyone have wiring diagrams and / or fault finding charts for Eberspacher B2L heater as fitted to 1982 Joker 2. This is the heater situated beneath the Right side of the chassis by the back of the sliding door. Not the one in the main ducting in the centre of the chassis.
    My problem is that the heater motor / fans run OK but there is no power to the fuel pump. Eventually all shuts down in the correct maner for 'no fire up'.
    This heater is not well known but maybe someone has the info I need to get this one working again.

Rod Sleigh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast